Thursday, October 2, 2008

Source Code

I have been spending time looking through the Mozilla source code trying to find out how the spell checking works. I knew it wasn't going to be easy but when you have no idea what any of the variables and functions you are looking at do and there are different parts coded in different languages it's not easy to understand anything.
I wish I could put some advice in this post about how to go about the searching but it really is just trial and error, searching different function names you think might have something to do with what you are looking for.
This has given be an appreciation for commenting because when there are comments, even just one line saying what the function does it can be very helpful. So if I get nothing else out of this I will always put at least a line of comments for every function I write.

1 comment:

Chris Bishop said...

I feel your pain. I'm trying to read through the Mozilla documentation and at times I feel more confused then when I started.

They don't give any simple answers or make anything straight forward. Oh well.